Seek First to Understand, Then be Understood
Outline of discussion:
1.Watch Next 2 Videos on Foundation Principles:
– Paradigms and the Social Mirror: Not found online.
– Effectiveness: Not found online.
2.Review from last month:
– Habit 4: Think Win-Win
– Homework: Use Creating Win-Win Agreements Checklist – DR. GRAC meets RACI: How did this go?
3. Summarize and Share:
– Look at this chapter content only – ask 1 person to summarize chapter (not application, just content), invite group to fill in clarify any gaps.
– Open Group Discussion: What struck you? Why?
– Empathic Listening Exercise: With a partner practice by rephrasing content, reflecting feelings, asking questions for better understanding.
– Person 1: Take the opportunity to share a certain difficulty, frustration, or challenge you are having in your personal or professional life. Be vulnerable as this time is in confidence. Person 2: Practice using empathic listening.
– Climbing Up and Down The Ladder of Inference.
– Review Notes from presentation by Jake Khym.
5. Final Closing:
– Homework: Start with questions; Observe your questions to statements ratio; Only use questions.
– Read next chapter: Habit 6: Principles of Creative Cooperation (261-284 = 23pp)